For fun this week I wrote six simple rules for surviving the apocalypse. Now this list is not for a specific type of apocalypse (Zombies, Natural Disaster, Disease, ECT…) but for the general rules that I have observed from Science Fiction stories and movies.
- Go north, not south. This is a common factor in most apocalyptic movies. Nothing likes the cold, whether it’s diseases or zombies. Remember to bring a coat!
- Get lots and lots of Gas. The number conflict in most survival movies is that they run out of gas. Doesn’t matter so much what you’re driving but how much gas you can put in it.
- Arm yourself, duh! The biggest danger for the apocalypse is other survivors. Don’t let yourself go unarmed making it easy for people to take your supplies or maybe even eat you,(like in The Road)
- No you can’t come sorry. Four people you don’t want to bring with you. Handicap people, Old people, Kids, and the sick. Trying to protect the weakest link is always a recipe for disaster. I know that sound cruel, but if you bring them you both will die. Also don’t travel with too many people.
- Keep moving. If you stop to hide, its enviable someone will find you because they will think to hide in the same place you would.
- Don’t trust people you don’t know. If you see someone in trouble, sorry it’s the apocalypse, don’t help them. Why? It’s probably a trap and even it wasn’t you don’t want to bring attention to yourself. It’s not worth the risk, that person is probably going to die anyway.
So that my list. If I could say one thing about the surviving the apocalypse it would be that compassion gets you killed quicker than anything.